It may be early September, but here in Ottawa we are experiencing plenty of heat and humidity. With this in mind, why not try you hand at this quick to prepare and simply delicious Corn Gazpacho recipe from Foodland Ontario. It uses plenty of fall harvest favourites, including tomatoes, peppers and cucumbers.
- 6 Ontario Field Tomatoes (about 2-1/2 lb/1.25 kg), peeled, seeded and cut in chunks
- 1 small Ontario Onion, cut in chunks
- 4 cloves Ontario Garlic, chopped
- 2 each sweet Ontario Peppers (preferably 1 green and 1 yellow), cut in chunks
- 1 Ontario Field Cucumber, peeled, seeded and cut in chunks
- 1-1/2 cups (375 mL) cooked Ontario Corn Kernels
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) olive oil
- 1 to 1-1/2 cups (250 to 375 mL) tomato juice or vegetable cocktail
- Salt and cayenne pepper to taste
In food processor, purée together tomatoes, onion and garlic. Turn into large bowl. Add sweet peppers to processor and pulse until finely chopped; add to tomato purée. Process cucumber until finely chopped; stir into tomato purée along with corn.
Add vinegar and oil. Thin with enough tomato juice until thick soup-like consistency. Add salt, cayenne pepper and up to 1 tbsp (15 mL) more vinegar if desired. Refrigerate until very well chilled. Serve sprinkled with croutons, cucumber and sweet peppers.
Garnish, if desired, with croutons, finely diced cucumber and sweet red and green peppers.
Photo Credit: Foodland Ontario